Friday, January 10, 2014

Pretty Grunge!

Today's card is one that I absolutely love- this normally happens with my newest cards being my favourite, but this one more than ever. It's a mix of old & new stuff and uses some ideas that I've never done before.

Here it is..

I haven't done any colouring for quite a while so I went back to one of my favourite Saturated Canary digi stamps and coloured her using a mix of Promarkers & Spectrum Noirs. I stuck to a pallette of pinks & greys but glittered the boots with some doodlebug glitter (to make them like a pair I'm lucky enough to have!)


I used a Kanban die-cut mat to draw a template for the shape of the topper which I cut out by hand, inked gently with Black Soot distress ink, and then matted it onto a co-ordinating die-cut layer. It was originally black & white so I used my Picked Raspberry distress ink to tie the colour in with the digi image.

I wanted to go for a slightly grungy/distressed look, so for the background, I took a piece of grey & white striped cardstock (new 'Mambi'  (Me & My Big Ideas) cardstock pad- bargain from TK Maxx) and cut it as a mat for the topper. I then took an offcut and attached it to the bottom of the original piece of card with the stripes going in the opposite direction. I then inked around the edges with the same Picked Raspberry distress ink that I used on the topper mat. To add to the 'grunge' look, I used my ScorPal scoreboard to score & fold some lines across different parts of the card.

I then took a piece of A4 pink cardstock and again inked the edges with Black Soot distress ink before adding the cardstock & topper. I folded some of the lines I had scored on the striped cardstock so that they stood out and only put the double sided tape in the centre. I used 2 layers of 3d foam to attach the topper so that it didn't squash the edges of the cardstock.

Here's a photo to show how it stands out...



I'm really pleased with how the grungy/pretty look has worked and I think that I'll try the folded distressed background thing again!

I am entering this card into the following challenges:-
Crafting Musketeers 'grunge' 29/1
Graph' It 'anything goes' 12/1
Cards Galore 'anything goes' 28/1
Polkadoodles 'anything goes' 12/1
Crafty Catz 'pretty in pink' 16/1
Polkadoodles 'girly, girly, girly' 19/1
Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenges 'anything goes' 14/1
Crafters Cafe 'anything goes' 14/1
Papertake weekly 'anything goes' 14/1
Challenges 4 Everybody 'anything goes' 31/1

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your beautiful card for Crafting Musketeers 'grunge' challenge, Hazel, DT Crafting Musketeers x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super card, great dimension, thanks for sharing withus at CRAFTY CATZ and Good Luck with the GDT x carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card, lovely colouring and those boots look fab! Thanks for joining us at Polkadoodles this week
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. a lovely card with a super image, thank you for joining us at Crafty Catz
    Tilly x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Thank-you for entering the Cards Galore Challenge, “Anything Goes”. This month, good luck and we hope to see you again soon.

    Hugs Erin x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant card. This is my favourite saturated canary image! Thanks for joining us at the Cards Galore Encore Anything Goes Challenge #1

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, what a shoes! LOVE it! Great stamp and so creative way of using it. Thank you for joining our challenge at Crafty Catz and I hope you will come back again.
    Hugs,
    Anna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous card, thank you for joining us at the Crafting Musketeers this month, Fran (DT) xxx

    ReplyDelete